Thread: WinterBoard Tutorial

Bookmark and Share
    iDevice
    iPhone 4S
    iOS
    Carrier
    AT&T

Default WinterBoard Tutorial

I would like either of two things ... a complete WinterBoarding guide that includes explanations of what directories to create for certain aspects of themeing (ie: icons, user interface [UI], etc.), OR I would like someone to link to where this information is on this post.

Also, I themed most of the ChatKit.framework (SMS\MMS App) in \System\Library\PrivateFrameworks using \Bundles\com.apple.chatkit in Winterboard. However, there are some images that are not taking effect. I made sure all files were named correctly. Any ideas?

Additionally, I apologize for probably being the trillionth person to ask how WinterBoard works, but searching google or even many forums yields far too many varied results.

iDevice
    iPhone 5S
    iOS
    Carrier
    T-Mobile

Hey there, your question has to be one of the most asked here. I believe the best way to learn, is to deconstruct an existing theme. Thats how I would do it

iDevice
    iPhone 5S
    iOS
    Carrier
    at@t

Thats how I did it.

iDevice
    iPhone 4S
    iOS
    Carrier
    AT&T

I've already been able to get quite far by back engineering many themes, but iOS 5 is tricky and in some cases requires a deletion/replacement of cache files and then a respring.

Having said that, I didn't get an answer about the the ChatKit.framework question in my previous post. I just recently redid the SpringBoard dock with one that I created and found out that I had to delete/replace a cache file in \var\mobile\Library\Caches\com.apple.springboard.s haredimagecache\Persistent called SBDockBG.png.cpbitmap and respring to reset the PNG to the one I created. I'm not sure if that same principle needs to be applied to some cache file for the Chatkit.framework somewhere to make all the images I've created work properly.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Edit:
    The screenshots below may better illustrate what I'm talking about.

This image I created:

I'm trying to replace the "add contact" icon in this screenshot:

And this is to show that some elements have taken effect so I know my images are good:
    Last edited by Hillefied; 04-12-2012 at 12:45 PM.

iDevice
    iPhone 4S
    iOS
    Carrier
    AT&T

I've been able to put those theming elements into place. I reverse engineered 4 different themes to find what files were required, what the names of those files should be and what folders they needed to be in. Talk about tedious.

Just an FYI, I highly doubt that would have been the easiest way to learn theming. I think about 2 hours and some fast typing would garner a decent guide better than tedious reverse engineering.

Still, I did take your advice and it did help solve my problems, so thank you for pointing me in that direction.

iDevice
    iPhone 5S
    iOS
    Carrier
    T-Mobile

Quote Originally Posted by Hillefied View Post
    I've been able to put those theming elements into place. I reverse engineered 4 different themes to find what files were required, what the names of those files should be and what folders they needed to be in. Talk about tedious.

Just an FYI, I highly doubt that would have been the easiest way to learn theming. I think about 2 hours and some fast typing would garner a decent guide better than tedious reverse engineering.

Still, I did take your advice and it did help solve my problems, so thank you for pointing me in that direction.
    I agree with you. Having a repository of articles on theming would of been awesome though.

iDevice
    iPhone 5S
    iOS
    Carrier
    at@t

I would suggest getting fswipecache from Cydia. Its a handy little app that is a one button cashe wipe. When you wipe the cache will be replaced with the new image you created that is sitting in the correct file.

Certain images need to be wipe and others just a respring. This is something you learn in time. there is alot of tedious things to do with theming the iPhone. Wait till you get to the UiImages and have to save the same image 20 times under 20 different names lol. If anyone has a trick for that I'll buy you a BMW. I learned the hard way by taking things apart and putting them back together. Its not easy at all.

iDevice
    iPhone 5
    iOS
    Carrier
    AT&T

there are also images that just arent called from there, that image may actually be in UIimages and not chatkit and sometimes depends on the iOS, i personally think apple ui designers made things really hard on themselves or somebody did with all the extra added exact same images

and there really isnt a complete tutorial cause i cant see anyone wanting to do that, its much easier finding a theme you like and as complete as you want and reverse engineer it which is what i did, finding a zip file of all 3.0/4.0/4.3/5.0 wont help you because theyre never in the directories they need to be. but having them is good so that if the theme you chose didn't do everything you can find the other images and just infer where they go or use trial and error and for my themes on all my phones i've never needed a cachewipe app or even to wipe cache, if its not theming it's probably not in the right spot or needs the lo-res an hi-res images both or needs ~iphone

theming can be a fun creative guessing game /sarcasm
    Last edited by Larke; 04-17-2012 at 07:25 PM.

iDevice
    iPhone 5
    iOS
    Carrier
    Sprint

This is all so true. I have been theming since the first iPhone and itouch and through each device and iOS update new features were added names and locations of images were changed I had given up on trying to create a complete theme I just would do a lockscreen and a battery or a few other things mostly only a clear lockscreen and different unlock slider over the years I have learned that theming is not easy when looking to theme just a single area and trying to find that image location in a large theme so grab a theme in cydia that themes what you want make sure it works ash it out and you'll find your location either UIImages, Bundles or Folders trial and error work best and check image sizes and double check them again then on to what other member said about 20 different names not only that also 20 different sizes also of the same image. But once you get going and you get a Test.theme with just empty folders all named right Bundles Floders with the directorys needed & UIImages put you test image in ssh it in, respring should be there if all is right and its in the right spot I found out the hard way also reverse engendering many many themes to me it is tedious but you learn so much about where stuff goes after a while I made like 40 back buttons for my theme to work but it only took one edit uidefaultbutton@2x to theme that whole 40 buttons why would that be . Anyway when you put time in and you see your theme come together it make you happy and exited that it is working and you keep going. Don't give up and have fun I am continuing on with one of my favorite themes hope to have it done soon.

iDevice
    iPhone 5
    iOS
    Carrier
    Sprint

Also if you find where that add contacts button is located before I do please let me / us all know thanks though I do believe I seen it in UIImages.
    Last edited by WIZWAR; 02-28-2013 at 10:53 AM.